The World Cup is the premier international football championship, organized every four years by the International Federation of Association Football, or FIFA. Although FIFA was founded in Paris in 1904, the first World Cup was not held until 1930. FIFA’s first precursor to the event was an international tournament held in 1906, but at that time, FIFA’s membership was all European. It would not expand to other continents until after 1909. The First World War proved a major stumbling block to both FIFA and any efforts to organize future international football events, as most of the membership were belligerents. However, FIFA did become involved in organizing Olympic football events during this period, which greatly spurred momentum towards a non-amateur tournament.The first World Cup was held in Uruguay, as they were the two-time champions of FIFA’s most recent efforts at international tournaments. Thirteen countries sent teams, with Uruguay defeating Argentina 4-2 in the final. The early tournaments of the 1930s were plagued by issues stemming from international travel: team from the Western Hemisphere were largely unwilling to travel to Europe for the tournament, and vice versa. Despite these difficulties, the World Cup rapidly came to overshadow Olympic football as the premier football event… Read full this story
- Women's World Cup: Mithali Raj and Co get rousing welcome upon arrival from England
- World Cup ski race postponed after snowfall in French Alps
- BREAKING NEWS: Russia banned from Tokyo Olympics and Qatar World Cup as CAS announces suspension
- South Africa minister says Fifa payment of $10m was not World Cup bribe
- World Cup stunning moments: Italy shocked by South Korea in 2002
- India vs Pakistan clashes at World Cup have seen three five-wicket hauls
- Sreesanth Reveals Dream Ahead of Syed Mushtaq Ali Comeback, Says 'Want to Play 2023 World Cup'
- Rugby World Cup 2023: England draw Japan; Wales to face Australia; Ireland and Scotland get South Africa
- First women’s Nordic combined World Cup among events on NBC, Peacock this week
- Dawid Malan and Eoin Morgan star as England lose just one white-ball series in 2020 and build for T20 World Cup
History of the World Cup have 339 words, post on ezinearticles.com at May 13, 2009. This is cached page on SEO. If you want remove this page, please contact us.