[In this reprinted #altdevblogaday-opinion piece, Yager Development’s Andre Dittrich explains why knowing your middleware’s source code is a must, and why middleware developers need to give their clients the source code.]It sounds so nice and easy: instead of spending time and money on developing features that basically every game needs anyway, we license the fitting middleware. Just plug it in and you get awesome physics, astounding AI and the best graphics … and we do not need nearly as many programmers! Well … What Does Middleware Mean For Us?Middleware is an “easy” way for us to add features to our game we do not want and/or have the resources or time for to develop on our own. It allows us to concentrate our resources on the things that make our games great and special. And how many new rigid body physics simulation implementation does this world need anyway?So I guess pretty much every game production of a certain scale uses middleware to some extend. What Does Middleware Mean For A Development Team?When I started at Yaager, we still had our own engine. The engine was used to build our first game (Yager) and for some of the demos we did… Read full this story
- US Refuses to Buy $1 Billion Worth of Iron Domes as Israel Rejects Handing Over Source Code – Report
- Justin Bieber & Hailey Baldwin's Secret Marriage: 'They Didn't Want Anyone to Know' Says Source
- The End of Code Is Really the End of One Guy in a Garage
- Silicon Valley's tech titans may be Democrats, but not as we know them
- Tapping the LIC source
- Gilad Shalit swap has split opinion on Binyamin Netanyahu
- We should end the suffering of patients who know they are dying and want to do so peacefully
- Are we alone in the universe? We'll know soon
- OK, it’s in the Oxford English Dictionary – but do you know what ‘cis’ means?
- Opinion: Why aren’t we paying people with the coronavirus to stay home?
Opinion: Know Your Middleware... Source Code Please! have 339 words, post on www.gamasutra.com at September 19, 2011. This is cached page on SEO. If you want remove this page, please contact us.