Japanese Taiko drums and Irish folk dancing are not things most people would associate with Brooklyn’s East New York neighborhood. Yet Catherine Green, executive director of ARTs East New York Inc., brought both international art forms to her neighborhood last summer as part of Summer Saturday, an eight-week program she created that brings “performance artists not normally accessible to the community” to stages set up at the weekend farmers market at 613 New Lots Ave. Green, 35, started ARTs East New York in 2009 to make it easier for residents of the east Brooklyn neighborhood to create and experience art and, in part, to counter East New York’s reputation as a too-often violent place to live. “We want to highlight the beauty of the people who live here and are making art and culture in the community,” she said. “If you are raising a family here it is costly and difficult to access events in Manhattan and other parts of the city.” ARTs East New York has exhibited local artists in its gallery, including photographer Erika Pettersen’s first solo show. They offer a variety of classes of children and adults, including ballet, Hip-Hop, African and modern dance, sculpture, and yoga,… Read full this story
- How New York’s hippest architects are reimagining communal space for the post-Covid era
- Michael K. Williams died from accidental overdose, says New York medical examiner
- New York Threatens Orthodox Jewish Areas With Lockdown Over Virus
- New York City’s rats felt the effects of Ida, too.
- Michael K. Williams Died of a Drug Overdose, Authorities Say
- New York’s Spring of Optimism: Finally, the Second Virus Wave Is Ebbing
- Local Issues Dominate New York City Council Elections
- New York Will Soon Lose 1 House Seat. The G.O.P. Might Lose 5.
- ‘Free Again’: New Yorkers, Virus in Mind, Head Back to Their Beaches
- Early Voting in New York: 5 Takeaways
East New York is not Least New York, says artistic duo creating website celebrating the Brooklyn neighborhood have 306 words, post on www.nydailynews.com at April 8, 2012. This is cached page on SEO. If you want remove this page, please contact us.