California is about to become the third state in the US with legislation designed to explicitly allow autonomous vehicles to be tested. California Governor Jerry Brown will sign the new law today at Google’s headquarters in Mountain View. Yesterday afternoon, on Google’s video channel, I noticed a new live stream page that went up saying that Google cofounder Sergey Brin would be interviewing Brown on the Google campus. For what? That wasn’t stated. Later that day, the Governor’s office sent out a notice that Brown would be signing legislation at Google. What legislation wasn’t revealed, which leads back to that live stream page I mentioned. The description there has now been updated to say: California Governor Edmund G. “Jerry” Brown Jr. visits the Google Headquarters on September 24th, 2012 to sign SB1298, a bill that creates a legal framework and operational safety standards for the testing and operation of autonomous vehicles on state roads and highways. Making Testing Officially Legal It’s not illegal for robocars to operate in California, but neither has it been expressly legal. Our post earlier this year, Blind Man Is First “Driver” Of Google’s Self-Driving Car & Why It Was Legal, explains more about the gray area….
- California governor signs bill requiring public universities to offer medication abortion
- California governor to withdraw National Guard from border
- 5 reasons why autonomous cars aren't coming anytime soon
- California pulls troops from Mexico border
- Washington Examiner: California to pull National Guard troops stationed at southern border
- Governor vetoes bill giving Core Tech qualifying certificate
- POLITICO Brussels Playbook, presented by Google: Tusko inferno — Saints and sinners — Franco-German fairytale over
- Charles Manson cult killer up for parole 50yrs after murders that shocked world
- Are the days of the private car really over?
- Carmakers temper their enthusiasm for driverless technology
California Governor Brown To Sign Autonomous Vehicle Law At Google Today have 308 words, post on at September 24, 2012. This is cached page on SEO. If you want remove this page, please contact us.