Ukraine’s acting president said Tuesday the country would not use its army to stop Crimea from seceding, the latest sign that a Russian annexation of the strategic peninsula may be imminent. KIEV: Ukraine’s acting president said Tuesday the country would not use its army to stop Crimea from seceding, the latest sign that a Russian annexation of the strategic peninsula may be imminent. Oleksandr Turchynov’s comments came after the Crimean parliament voted for independence ahead of a Sunday referendum on joining Russia, while Washington and Moscow locked horns in one of their fiercest clashes since the Cold War. The interim leader said intervening on the southeastern Black Sea peninsula, where Kremlin-backed forces have seized de facto control, would leave Ukraine exposed on its eastern border, close to Russia. “We cannot launch a military operation in Crimea, as we would expose the eastern border and Ukraine would not be protected,” Turchynov told AFP. Describing the secession vote as a “sham”, he said: “What they call the referendum will not happen in Crimea but in the offices of the Kremlin.” World powers have repeatedly called for Moscow and Kiev to come together to seek a solution to the escalating crisis in Crimea,… Read full this story
- Pre-Debate Analysis: Don’t Fall for Trump’s Conspiracy Theories on Ukraine
- Obstruction Case is Building, Democrat Says: Impeachment Update
- Biden Defends Son Hunter at Debate, Saying Focus Should Be on Trump
- E.U. ambassador prepared to deny he was warned about Ukraine work: AP
- Joe Biden defends Hunter Biden's Ukraine work: 'My son did nothing wrong. I did nothing wrong'
- Biden Insists He, Son Hunter Did Nothing Wrong in Ukraine
- Giuliani to Congress Eyeing Boss Trump’s Impeachment: I Got Nothing to Say
- Rudy, Russians and Weed: The Giuliani/Ukraine Corruption Indictments Explained via
- Revive Lincoln's Monetary Policy - An Open Letter to President Obama
- Will Sarah Palin Get a Second Chance at the Presidency?
Ukraine won't intervene in Crimea, president says have 314 words, post on www.vir.com.vn at March 12, 2014. This is cached page on SEO. If you want remove this page, please contact us.