Jonas Gahr Støre after he was elected leader of the Labour Party on Saturday. Photo: Lise Åserud/NTB Scanpix The new leader of Norway’s Labour Party has called for the country to become the world’s first zero-emission nation in an unexpectedly radical speech that signalled a sharp change in the party’s climate policy. Jonas Gahr Støre, the son of a wealthy ship-broker, named climate change as humanity’s “biggest problem” as he was voted in as leader at a meeting of Labour Party delegates on Saturday afternoon. “We are the first generation to fully see and experience the effects of climate change and perhaps we will be the last generation to be able do anything about it,” he told activists. “Our response should be, ‘Join!, Join with me to build a zero-emission society in Norway.'” Støre announced that he would lead a new climate panel within the party tasked with developing new proposals to combat emissions, with a view to forcing a new climate agreement through the country’s parliament if the party wins the next general election in 2017. Climate change, he stressed, would be the party’s overwhelming priority, informing its policy decisions in all other areas. In an implicit criticism of… Read full this story
- US, Canada Pledge ‘Net Zero Emissions by 2050’
- End New Fossil Fuel Development, IEA Demands In Groundbreaking Net Zero Plan
- Anti-Semitism: Labour pays damages for 'hurt' to whistleblowers
- Canadian Solar Inc (CSIQ) Q1 2021 Earnings Call Transcript
- Brookfield Renewable Partners L.P. (BEP) Q1 2021 Earnings Call Transcript
- Making a success of the EU recovery plan: leaders debate the Central European perspective
- Liberal Democrat leadership race 'too close to call', as postal vote puts candidates neck and neck
- Unite contest: Who's running and what's at stake?
- Thorny Gardens: Doctors in Assam Tea Estates Fear Mob Violence amid Covid Crisis
- Is This Book ‘The Art Of War’ For Fighting Climate Change?
New Labour leader calls for zero-emission Norway have 315 words, post on www.thelocal.no at June 16, 2014. This is cached page on SEO. If you want remove this page, please contact us.