In a world of Panda and Hummingbird, it is getting more and more important to get your on-page SEO right. You might have a fantastic outreach, a great PR campaign, and link profile, but if you don’t optimize your site, you will have a hard time landing top positions in the search results. To help you do it, I have compiled this free SEO tools list that can help you with on-page optimization.
You can use this tool to search for keywords and ad group ideas, determine how specific keywords may perform, and create new keyword list by multiplying multiple keywords lists. AdWords Keyword Planner also helps you choose competitive bids and budgets. Here is how to use Keyword Planner to search for new keywords:
- Click on “Search for new keyword and ad group ideas.”
- Enter one or more of these: phrases that describe your product, URL of the page on your website, the relevant category of the product.
- Click on “Get Ideas”.
- Analyze the keywords from the Ad group ideas tab or the Keyword ideas tab.
- Click on the double arrows to add an ad group or keyword idea.
- Click on “Get estimates and review plan” to see a graph displaying maximum CPC bids and daily traffic estimates.
Know more about Keyword Planner by watching this video.
KeywordTool.io is a keyword research tool using Google Autocomplete to generate long-tail keywords. Here is how the tool works:
- Keyword Tool prepends and appends the specified term by you to generate long-tail keyword suggestion. You can also choose a specific Google domain and language combination.
- It generates more than 750 keywords in any language of your choice.
UberSuggest extracts key phrases and suggests keywords, and then displays them in a list format that can be easily copied and pasted.
- Open http://ubersuggest.org.
- Type the words and click on “Suggest”. Browse through the list of ideas and click on relevant phrases to expand them.
- Click on the green plus icon to select the keyword you want. After this click on “Get” at the top right of the page.
- A box will appear listing all the keywords. Select all and click on copy to export them directly to Google Keyword Tool.
- Paste them in the “Find Keywords” section of Google Keyword Planner. Change the match type, location, and device option accordingly and click on “Search”.
BuzzStream Meta Tag Extractor pulls title tags, keywords, and meta descriptions for a list of URLs. To use the tool you have to:
- Paste a list of URLs in the text box
- Click on “Go”
- The tool will automatically return the title tags, meta keywords, and meta description for them.
5. Keyword Eye (Free for 10 keyword searches per day):
Keyword Eye is a tool for brainstorming keywords for PPC and SEO. Enter a keyword and the tool will send back keyword suggestions. The keyword size will reflect the monthly search volume and the color will indicate how competitive the keyword is. You can find additional data and visualizations in different tabs of a report and a contextual keyword right-click menu which opens up more on-site and external insight/research possibilities. Here’s what the tool can do for you:
- Keyword brainstorming for PPC or SEO campaign
- Collects competitor keyword and ranking data
- Finds out what people are searching for in your field
- Analyze on-site keyword trends in the content of top ranking pages
The plagiarism checker finds out if there are unauthorized copies of your content anywhere on the web.
- Go to Copyscape.
- Type in the URL you want to check and click on Go
- Look out for results that are copied.
- You can also add warning banners to your website or blog pages showing that your page is protected by Copyscape.
While Copyscape scans just a single page of a site, Siteliner does more than that. Here’s how the tool works:
- Enter the URL of the site you want to scan and click on “Go”
- The tool will crawl through your site and generate reports on duplicity, broken links, XML sitemap, internal page rank, and more.
SEO-Browser will take a page and show how it looks to the search engines without the graphics or other elements search engines can’t digest. The tool is great for those who do not want to go through the technical details of search engine accessibility. The tool gives information on:
- Meta data
- Internal and external links
- Text to page weight ratio
Register your site with Google Webmaster Tools for search queries, to check for HTML improvements, structured data markup, and more. Moreover, you can also use this tool to look at:
- Keyword insights
- Traffic patterns
- Authorship statistics
- Site speed metrics
10. ScreamingFrog (Free for 500 URI crawls):
ScreamingFrog is a great tool for complete SEO audit. It quickly analyzes, audits, and reviews a site from a SEO perspective. The tool is helpful in analyzing large sites, which are difficult to manually check.
Advanced Meta Tag Generator and Google Search Results Preview will show you the screenshot of how your search listing will appear in Google search results. See how this works:
- Enter your URL or meta tags
- Preview how it will appear in Google SERPs
- Add keyword meta tags to see them in bold in the screenshot.
- Enter your Google+ URL to see how your authorship result will look like
- You can also download the screenshot of your search listing
The tool measures the performance of a page on both mobile devices and desktop devices. It fetches the URL twice using a mobile user agent and with a desktop user agent. Enter the web page URL and click on “Analyze”. The PageSpeed Score ranges from 0 to 100 points. A score over 85 shows the page is performing well.
13. GTmetrix (Free for 5 URLs/month):
GTmetrix analyzes the performance of a webpage by using data from Google PageSpeed and Yahoo! YSlow. It also offers recommendations to fix these issues. After you enter the URL of the page you will get a report showing:
- Your page’s score.
- An image of your page and recommendations regarding your page speed on the left side.
- The main content of your page will be displayed in the lower right side.
The Pingdom tool checks load time of all the pages on your website.. The tool also helps you discover what is slowing down your site’s load time. Once you get an idea of the causes, you can addresses those issue immediately. Pingdom will also provide you with a performance grade, overall load time, page size, and recommendations on how you can speed up your site.
Feedthebot is a collection of a dozen tools to analyze page speed and performance. Some of them include:
- SEO Page Spider
- Image SEO Tool
- Google Guideline Check
- Mobile SEO Tool
- Social Media Count
- Page Speed Tool
- CSS Delivery Tool
This Firefox add-on can be used to view HTTP headers of a page and while browsing. Here is how to use it:
- Open the Firefox Add-ons Live HTTP Headers web page and click on the “Add to Firebox” button followed by “Install Now”.
- Click on “Restart Now”
- Enter the URL of the website in Firefox you want to monitor and press enter
- Click on “Open Menu”
- Click on the “Headers” tab. When you scroll down the window you will all the header information. At the top will be the original request followed by the response code from the server. Below that will be any additional information.
- Click on “Save All” to save the information.
17. URI Valet:
URI Valet shows you all the important information regarding your site including download speed, server headers, object details, and more. The tool combines more than 10 structural tools to help you see everything at one glance. URI Valet also lists all internal and external links and validates them and displays graphs regarding the object size and download time to print out.
This robots.txt generator helps you quickly create a robots.txt file. By default, this tool lets the search engines crawl your page, but if there are certain areas that you do not want the spiders to crawl, you can exclude them by adding them to this file and uploading it to the root directory.
This tool will tell you if your robots.txt file is blocking Googlebot from crawling a file. You have to login to your Google Webmaster Tools account to access the Robots.txt Testing Tool.
- Select the site you want to check.
- Select robots.txt Tester tool from the Crawl section.
- The tool will copy your robots.txt file into the text editor for you to make changes and check your logic or syntax. You can see the number of syntax warnings or logic errors directly below the editor.
- Scrolling through the file to find these warnings and make the necessary changes.
- Type in a path in the text box at the bottom of the page and select the user agent you want to stimulate from the drop down list.
- Click on the “Test” button to find out if the URL you entered is blocked.
20. Schema Creator:
Schema Creator gives sufficient data to help you understand how to build your own schema types quickly. Here’s how the tool works:
- Enter the required data into the form, which will automatically create your HTML with microdata.
- The preview will be displayed on the screen immediately.
- Click on the code in the text area and copy and paste it into your HTML document.
The Structured Data Testing Tool allows you to check your markup and ensure Google can pull this structured data from your page. It will not only display the markup of a particular page, but also shows you a preview of how the page will appear in Google SERPs.
- Go to the Structured Data Testing Tool.
- Enter the URL of the page in the top box and then click on “Preview”.
- If your page is not yet live, paste your HTML into the second box and click on “Preview”.
22. XML-Sitemaps.com (Free indexing of 500 pages):
By creating a sitemap you can ensure Google knows about all the pages on your site. This includes URLs that might not be discoverable by Google’s normal crawling. Sitemaps can also provide Google metadata about specific types of content on your site. To create a sitemap for your website:
- Open XML-Sitemaps.com. Enter your website URL in the form that appears on the homepage. You will also be asked to fill in some optional parameters.
- Click on the “Start” button and wait for the site to get crawled.
- The tool will show you the number of pages, broken links, and XML file content.
- You will also see a link to download the sitemap file. Click on the link, download the file and place it into the domain root folder of your site.
- Visit your Google Webmaster account and add your sitemap URL.
Sitemaps are a great way to communicate with the search engines. In robots.txt you can tell search engines which parts of your site you do not want them to index, in the sitemap you can tell search engines where you want them to go.
- Just type in your XML Sitemap address and click on the red colored Validate button.
- The tool will check if all the links in the sitemap are working properly.
- You can then download the validated Sitemap (xml or gunzip) and ping all search engines.
24. Site Condor (Free trial of 200 URLs and 2 crawls):
Site Condor is a site analysis tool providing in-depth analysis of your site. The tool can be used for extracting on-page elements and structured data, analyzing aggregated results, and controlling when and how crawl jobs run.
After you have run and tested all of these tools on your website, use the Free SEO Toolkit by Microsoft to run a full-fledged SEO audit. The tool will give you detailed reports of the audit after the completion of the process.
Hope this list of some of the most popular free tools for on-page optimization is helpful to you. You can use them in your on-page SEO process and watch your rankings rise. Do you use some other tools for the on-page optimization of your website? If you do, tell me about them in the comments section below.
Featured Image: 3d Rendered Logos via Shutterstock
- Google tools aim to help you plan your Thanksgiving travels
- Instagram tackles self-harm and suicide with new reporting tools, support options
- UK Facebook users now have a tool to report scam ads
- Facebook built censorship tool to get into China despite human rights risks
- Pub giving away free meals to help struggling families in summer holidays
- IDENTIFIED: Meet The Erdogan Goon Who Brutally Kicked A Female Protester At Turkish Embassy [VIDEO]
- State Dept Is Working To ID Erdogan Bodyguards Who Beat Up Protesters In DC
- CNN’s Media Firefighter Brian Stelter Turns His Back On ABC’s Epstein Cover-Up
- Here’s The Erdogan Henchman Who Choked A Female Protester In Turkish Embassy Attack
- ‘Jeopardy!’ Host Alex Trebek Gives Positive Update On Cancer Diagnosis