IT WAS an extra ordinary celebration.Not just because of the gifts both received and handed out. But because of the Christ centeredness of the affair. Dr. Irineo “Bong” Alvaro, Jr.’s 57th birthday few days ago started with a worship service, with the celebrator a long time member of the United Methodist Church. There were classic hymns, traditional gospel reading, and the standard benediction. There were special song numbers too, with one of them having Mr. Alvaro. From where I sat inside what is a theater-turned-church, I heard his baritone voice harmonizing with the sopranos, altos and basses. In the program that followed the service at the family-owned Fiona’s Farm in Magalang town, the Alvaro clan showed their utmost generosity. It was the first time that I witnessed a unique birthday celebration where the gift giving was so meaningful. It was a manifestation of the Bible’s teaching: It is better to give than to receive. First up was the one million peso funding to help Concepcion South Elementary School build much needed facilities. Initially funding the covered multi-purpose hall or gym, this is something that even today’s politicians will not dare do. Or even in the old dispensation, I don’t think… Read full this story
- Birthdays behind bars: An essay by an inmate
- Celebrate Norman Borlaug on his birthday at the World Food Prize Hall of Laureates
- Closure of MOA’s American Girl store means end of tradition for one local girl
- Recruiting for Good to Reward Women Who Make a Difference Escape to Celebrate Freedom Trips
- Celebrate the man behind the magic at Philadelphia'a Magic Gardens this week
- Just In Time for Valentine’s Day: A Better Way to Send Flowers in NY
- Joe Neguse navigates Washington vitriol during ‘hectic’ first month in Congress
- ‘The Masked Singer’ Episode 7 Spoilers & Recap: All Performances and Clues, Plus Who Was Unmasked
- ‘The Masked Singer’ Episode 8 Spoilers & Recap: All Performances and Clues, Plus Who Was Unmasked
- Cousins stumble into adulthood in Goodman Theatre's 'Twilight Bowl'
Tulabut: When Birthdays Are So Meaningful have 332 words, post on www.sunstar.com.ph at April 30, 2015. This is cached page on SEO. If you want remove this page, please contact us.