NEW YORK (Reuters) – Front-runner Donald Trump showed signs of tightening his grip on the Republican U.S. presidential nomination on Wednesday when chief rival Ted Cruz acknowledged his own only hope of wresting control is a contested convention. Trump delivered a crushing defeat of Cruz in Tuesday’s New York Republican nominating contest while Democratic front-runner Hillary Clinton broke rival Bernie Sanders’ string of state victories with a definitive win of her own. Rebounding from a defeat in Wisconsin two weeks ago, Trump set himself up for another big night on April 26, when the Northeast U.S. states of Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Delaware, and Maryland hold primaries. “Ted Cruz is mathematically out of winning the race,” Trump tweeted on Wednesday. “Now all he can do is be a spoiler, never a nice thing to do. I will beat Hillary!” Trump, 69, predicted some “amazing weeks” ahead for his campaign. Cruz, at a news conference on the sidelines of a Republican National Committee meeting in Hollywood, Florida, said neither he nor Trump will amass the 1,237 delegates needed to win the nomination without a contested convention in Cleveland starting on July 18. “What is clear today is that we are headed… Read full this story
- Kerry endorses Biden in 2020 race: He 'can beat Donald Trump'
- Republican Hawks Rally to Donald Trump’s Defense for Killing Qasem Soleimani
- Who is running for president in 2020? Donald Trump, and these 15 Democrats
- Beto O'Rourke is the 'Anti-Trump,' Has What Democrats Want for 2020, Says Ted Cruz's Campaign Manager
- What Do Mexicans Think of Donald Trump?
- Ted Cruz: Focus on Improving America, Not Ukraine ‘Political Circus’
- Donald Trump Loves the Gawker Verdict, and 9 Other Revelations From His Sit-down With the Washington
- Ilhan Omar Slams Ted Cruz for Criticizing Her While Staying Silent on San Diego Synagogue Attack: 'Shame on You'
- Michael Bloomberg officially launches presidential bid, says Donald Trump represents 'existential threat'
- Donald Trump accuses Democrats of pursuing his impeachment 'at this moment in our history, when I am so busy' - a day after Elizabeth Warren asked whether he ordered Qassem Soleimani's death as a distraction
Why Ted Cruz Can Only Beat Donald Trump at a Contested GOP Convention have 342 words, post on www.newsweek.com at April 20, 2016. This is cached page on SEO. If you want remove this page, please contact us.