Over the weekend, The Telegraph reported that Google has plans to release a Google-branded phone that will “see Google take more control over design, manufacturing, and software.” Google is apparently sick and tired of the iPhone “dominating” the high end of the smartphone market, and the company appears to believe a Google-built smartphone can solve this problem in a way that a Nexus device cannot. The report further says that the Google Phone will appear ”by the end of the year” and that it will exist in addition to the Nexus program, which the report says is ”expected to continue this year with handsets made by Taiwanese company HTC.” I’m skeptical. Three phones in six months? We already know a good amount about the upcoming Nexus devices, if the current rumors are true. There will be two HTC-built devices, codenamed “Marlin” and “Sailfish.” We have solid rumors from the usual “reliable sources,” but we also know the phones exist because we can see Google make references to them in AOSP. Those two phones are also expected to be released this year (the Telegraph report agrees with this), so if the Telegraph is right, that’s three smartphones from Google in the next six months. Further ReadingGoogle’s product strategy: Make two of everythingThis isn’t the first… Read full this story
- How To Share Google Calendar 2019: What Makes Google Calendar Unique?
- Dave goes out of control: Gov.'s proposed overhaul of rent regs makes no sense
- GOP's stimulus stupidity: Republicans slamming the Obama plan are making no sense
- Google granted patent to make smart contact lenses for diabetics
- Free the shops: WA's trading hour laws are out of date and make no sense
- Alyssa Milano blasts London airport for confiscating breast milk: 'Makes no sense at all'
- Adjustable-rate mortgages could make financial sense, depending on several factors
- Sania Mirza says, blaming Anushka Sharma if Virat Kohli scores zero makes no sense
- WATCH: Atlantic City mayor: Takeover makes 'no sense'
- Microsoft's top lawyer: Trump's Huawei ban makes no sense
For Google, building its own smartphone doesn’t make a lot of sense have 343 words, post on arstechnica.com at June 28, 2016. This is cached page on SEO. If you want remove this page, please contact us.