Correction: Hoverboards were introduced in 2015. This story has been updated to reflect that. LOS ANGELES — Tech products have failed and gone through recalls before, only to live another day. Not so with the Samsung Galaxy Note 7.Samsung’s decision to stop producing the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 “phablet” due to exploding batteries is unprecedented, says Tim Bajarin, an analyst with Creative Strategies, who has been covering tech since the 1980s.”No tech product has had this kind of massive recall, based on a faulty design, and then got killed,” he says.Hoverboards, those little stand-up scooters without a handle, introduced at the end of 2015, also contained lithium-ion batteries that set off fires. But the manufacturers fixed the problem and many went back on the market. Amazon’s e-store is chock full of hoverboards that tout their new safety and are available for purchase.The product most similar to the Note 7 disaster is the Ford Pinto, the once popular car now remembered for gas tanks that exploded in flames after collisions. The model was first recalled in 1978, and the car stopped production in 1980. Ford was also battling several lawsuits at the time from families that either died or were injured from the Pinto.There have been… Read full this story
- Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 Can't Touch the iPad Mini
- Six months later, how are you liking the Galaxy Note 20?
- Samsung Galaxy Mega: The Biggest Smartphone Ever
- Are you still hopeful that Samsung will release a Note 21 or Note 21 Ultra this year?
- Best Galaxy S10 and S10+ Hole-Punch Wallpapers in 2021
- This is where your future is developed: A peek inside Samsung’s South Korea HQ
- Are you using the S Pen with the Galaxy S21 Ultra?
- Samsung is aggressively killing background apps on Android 11 — but there's an easy fix
- Club cashier who filmed rape at Downtown East chalet gets jail, fine
- Samsung Gets Down to Business With Galaxy NotePro Tablet
Samsung Galaxy Note 7 joins the Ford Pinto club have 311 words, post on www.usatoday.com at October 11, 2016. This is cached page on SEO. If you want remove this page, please contact us.