Apple has been developing indoor location and mapping for several years. Now the company is finally sharing the fruits of that effort in Maps for iOS 11.
Among the dizzying array of announcements Monday at Apple’s developer conference, the company showed off an updated Apple Maps that includes indoor location for shopping malls and airports. For shopping malls, Apple Maps will now show:
- floor plans and individual store information.
- directories of stores.
- ability to search and browse.
Indoor location for shopping malls will initially launch in Boston, Chicago, Hong Kong, San Francisco, Tokyo, San Jose, Philadelphia, New York, Washington DC, London and Los Angeles. Apple said that there would be “hundreds more per month thereafter.” It does not appear to include indoor navigation, however.
Above is a before and after set of screens. Unfortunately, the screen shot of the new indoor maps (right) is not great, but it provides an illustration of the level of detail in the iOS 11 version of Apple Maps. Google has offered a version of this information for a few years; Bing Maps also has selected indoor locations. Below are screens from the current version of Google Maps for the same mall location (Valley Fair, San Jose, Calif.).
- Latest Fortnite Update Adds Buried Treasure; New Limited Time Mode Available
- The 10 Worst Airports for Flight Delays, Ranked
- How Early Should I Get to the Airport?
- Top 10: best airports in the world for a layover
- Singapore for Bus to Knights Bridge Mall from Mustafa Centre
- 10 Ways to De-Stress at the Airport
- When Apple Damns Your Texts to iMessage Purgatory
- New Airline Adds $149 Transatlantic Flights for 2019
- Jakarta Soekarno-Hatta International Airport debuts new terminal with Vision-Box biometric border control solution
- TSA Will Continue Screening at Smaller Airports, with the Help of Dogs