Today’s Google logo, Doodle, on the home page of Google.com is for Samuel Johnson, aka Dr. Johnson. He was a poet, essayist, moralist, literary critic, biographer, editor and lexicographer and was described by the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography as “arguably the most distinguished man of letters in English history.”
Google’s doodle pays “homage to this pioneer lexicographer who dedicated years to his craft,” they said.
He was born 308 years ago today in England and passed on December 13, 1784 at the age of 75 in England as well.
There is a ton about his life works on Wikipedia – so check it out.
Forum discussion at Google+.
- Rare Samuel Johnson 50p coin on eBay for £3,500 – but how much are they really worth?
- Google Doodle celebrates Elisa Leonida Zamfirescu’s birthday
- Say 'cheese!' for Google Street View
- ‘Boris Johnson is engaged in the long con to be PM, and he’s counting on us staying in the EU’
- Boris Johnson Fast Facts
- Boris Johnson backs brother Jo’s decision to quit over Brexit
- Google Maps viewers spot bikini babe in awkward position on beach – what IS she doing?
- How Google is tackling bias in AI
- PM's Brexit choices completely unacceptable, says Jo Johnson
- Boris Johnson: Theresa May 'on verge of total surrender' to Brussels