AOL announced Friday that it was discontinuing its pioneering Instant Messenger chat platform after 20 years of service. An article on AOL’s website on Friday said AOL Instant Messenger will be discontinued on 15 December. The program will still function until then but after that, users won’t be able to sign in and all data will be deleted. AOL says people with an aim.com email address will still be able to use it. In a blogpost, a spokesman for AOL’s parent company explained the platform’s demise as the casualty of the evolving way people communicate. “AIM tapped into new digital technologies and ignited a cultural shift, but the way in which we communicate with each other has profoundly changed,” wrote Michael Albers, vice president of communications at Oath. Launched in 1997, AOL Instant Messenger was at the forefront of what was called at the time the biggest trend in online communication since email. The platform, which provided instant access to friends and contacts on a user’s “buddy list,” was wildly popular for the first few years after its launch. It claimed more than 100 million registered users in 2001. AOL was fiercely protective of its dominance in the instant messaging… Read full this story
- Naveen Patnaik completes 20 years as CM, says still a long way to go to empower people
- Adorable 3.5OUNCE African primate the Taita mountain dwarf galago is caught on camera for the first time in nearly 20 years as the species faces extinction
- Chronic migraine sufferers are given fresh hope of getting rid of their crippling headaches with first new drug in 20 years
- Damn Gina! Martin star Tisha Campbell files for divorce from husband of over 20 years Duane Martin
- Box office near 20-year low as viewers stay home due to coronavirus
- Canadian Parliament shuts until April 20 due to pandemic
- “Your criticisms are completely wrong”: Stallman on software patents, 20 years in
- After 20 years of searching for alien life, [email protected] is shutting down
- 'All the data we need': Seti computing project paused after 20 years
- Grimes reveals pregnancy cravings have forced her to ditch her strict 20-year vegan diet and she is forcing herself to eat 'disgusting vegetables'
AOL shuts down Instant Messenger after 20 years of online chat have 363 words, post on www.theguardian.com at October 6, 2017. This is cached page on SEO. If you want remove this page, please contact us.