News / World by Press Association 20/06/2018, 8:37 pm FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail Send us a story Sign up to our Daily newsletter President Donald Trump has signed an executive order ending the process of separating children from families after they are detained crossing the US border illegally. It was a dramatic turnaround for Mr Trump, who has been insisting, wrongly, that his administration had no choice but to separate families apprehended at the border because of federal law and a court decision. The news in recent days has been dominated by searing images of children held in cages at border facilities, as well as audio recordings of young children crying for their parents. The images sparked fury, questions of morality and concern from Republicans about a negative impact on their races in November’s midterm elections. Until Wednesday, the president, Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen and other officials had repeatedly argued the only way to end the practice was for Congress to pass new legislation, while Democrats said he could do it with his signature alone. That was what he did on Wednesday. “We’re going to have strong, very strong borders, but we’re going to keep the families together,” said Mr Trump who… Read full this story
- Trump gives in, signs order ending family separations
- Trump Tried to Blur Responsibility for His Family Separation Policy in Final Debate
- Joe Biden vs Donald Trump: How will Joe Biden's policy on china compare to Donald Trump?
- How Joe Biden's executive orders in first 100 days compare to Donald Trump's
- Greg Abbott says Donald Trump secured border "like no other president"
- Trump signs executive orders for $400 weekly unemployment benefits, extension of payroll tax cuts through 2020
- Donald Trump's Legal Troubles: A Guide
- Ilhan Omar to introduce bill to end Donald Trump's "hateful Muslim ban"
- Joe Biden the boring radical quietly outshines Donald Trump the predictable showman
- Donald Trump made a better president than Joe Biden and Barack Obama - ‘Gets no credit’
Donald Trump signs order overturning family separation policy have 319 words, post on www.eveningexpress.co.uk at June 20, 2018. This is cached page on SEO. If you want remove this page, please contact us.