The order of the URLs in your XML Sitemap does not matter, said Google’s John Mueller on Twitter.
Save the start of the file for the most awesome URLs — the order among them doesn’t matter. Ideally, that covers your whole site already, so you’re all set!
— John ☆.o(≧▽≦)o.☆ (@JohnMu) 13. Juni 2018
The “save the start of the file for the most awesome URLs” was a bit confusing so someone asked for clarification:
Yes, John – tell us more! Why put the most awesome URLs at the beginning of the file? (That can be difficult to with programmatic files generated for large sites, but also, you know that will lead to the mad dash trying to figure out how many Google considers the “start” part. 🙂
— Vanessa Fox (@vanessafox) 14. Juni 2018
John Mueller then said that the order doesn’t matter at all:
I see my nuance didn’t make it across :). Your site should be full of most awesome URLs — the order in the sitemap file doesn’t matter at all.
— John ☆.o(≧▽≦)o.☆ (@JohnMu) 14. Juni 2018
How to create an XML Sitemap file for your website
Among many other things, the website audit tool in SEOprofiler creates an XML Sitemap file for your website. You can create your SEOprofiler account here:
- Beware of This Dangerously Convincing Google Docs Phishing Scam
- Google Complies With Russian Order to Take Down Opposition Leader's YouTube Ads
- If You Owned a First-Gen Pixel Phone, Google May Owe You Some Class Action Money
- Apparently Google Glass Addiction Is Now A Thing
- What the Hell Happened to Google Wallet's Cash-Free Future?
- Google Nest Hub review
- More Than 600 Google Employees Are Demanding an End to Project Dragonfly
- Google’s Jacquard fabric tech now comes in two Levi’s jacket styles, costs less
- Google China Search Engine Killed
- Maybe Don't Get Too Excited Just Yet Over Google Buying Fitbit