Jasmine Stole Weiss Pacific Daily News
Published 1:07 p.m. UTC Aug 13, 2018
More than 40 hours after the initial call was made reporting a missing hiker, authorities continue to search along the swollen Lonfit River for the 15-year-old boy who went missing on Saturday.
Xavier Akima, a student at Father Duenas Memorial School, was part of a group of nine youths who went hiking along the popular San Carlos Falls trail.
The other eight hikers were found safe, according to firefighter Kevin Reilly, spokesman for the Guam Fire Department.
‘Full-scale’ search resumes
Reilly on Monday said 11 officers from Guam Police Department Special Operations Division will be working with eight fire rescue personnel for another full-scale search of the trail.
More: Frustrations, worry mount as Day 2 of search turns up empty for 15-year-old hiker
(Story continues below video)
On Sunday, rescue workers searched the length of the river and nearby trails from Nimitz Hill to Chalan Pago.
Meanwhile, family members, classmates and supporters waited under canopies at the end of Larson Road, where both sides of the streets were lined with cars.
Calvo stops by
On Monday, Gov. Eddie Calvo met with the boy’s family members to express his support and let them know that crews were working hard to find the missing teen.
“We still have a lot of confidence,” the governor said. “We’ve just got to focus on, again, looking for him. But that young man — we’re going to do everything we can.”
Earlier in the day, the governor tweeted: “Folks we begin another day of searching for Xavier. Please join First Lady and myself in praying for this young man and for our amazing first responders who have been searching for him.”
The hike from Nimitz Hill to San Carlos Falls is a scenic but potentially dangerous trek. Rains Saturday led to flash flooding, and trails through the remote area are slick when wet.
(Story continues below photos)
Heavy rain continued throughout the day on Sunday, and the river and its many pools were much deeper than normal.
Two hike groups encounter difficulties Saturday
The missing boy was a member of one of two groups of hikers reported stranded on Saturday.
In addition to the group at San Carlos Falls, Reilly said five adults and four minors weren’t able to return to the trail head at Tarzan Falls because of flash flooding and inclement weather. But by 7:19 p.m. Saturday all nine hikers at Tarzan Falls were accounted for and no injuries were reported.
Reilly said that the San Carlos Falls group called 911 at about 5:27 p.m. Saturday.
This story is developing. The Pacific Daily News will update this story as more information becomes available.
- Falling concrete shuts San Francisco Bay Area bridge
- Magnitude 3.5 earthquake shakes San Francisco Bay Area, centered near Oakland
- Here's when the San Francisco Bay Area will cool down
- 10 Outdoor Attractions You Can't Miss in San Francisco
- Fairfax Co. teen who went missing in February has been found, police say
- A Rainy Day in Jackson for Miss Eudora Welty
- Man Accused Of Stealing Nearly $1,000 From San Carlos CVS
- Search for wealthy Polish film producer missing on lake
- Anthony Bourdain’s suicide leaves his beloved San Francisco Bay Area shocked and saddened
- Hiking to Havasu Falls, the Grand Canyon's Hidden Jewel