Google celebrates 20 years of existence on September 27 and invites everyone to travel through time to the place where it all started. Specifically, a virtual Street View to the garage where Google’s first office worked. It was restored to look almost exactly like 20 years ago (September 1998), when Google founders Sergey Brin and Larry Page opened the company’s first office in Susan Wojcicki’s garage (now CEO of YouTube) on Santa Margarita 232, Menlo Park, California, United States.
A short guide to what you can see: once you enter the garage door, the visitor will see a yellow leg table with a CRT monitor on which one of the first variations of the Google search page opens. Plus a washing machine and a dryer, of which Larry and Sergey were very excited about.
At the other end of the lobby there is a bedroom, which 20 years ago played the role of “headquarters”, and inside there is a blackboard titled “Google’s Worldwide Headquarters”. On another chart, you can see the Google logo from 1988. Moreover, visitors will be able to discover some “secrets” in the Google Street garage: 20 pieces of the company’s history, from the prototype of Google glasses to its original seat Larry. This is why the secret door that connects with the parallel world where these 20 pieces are placed is to be found.
More details in the Google blog post: https://goo.gl/mto4QM
Those who are interested in seeing exactly how this space looks like in 1998 can do it here in this archive video filmed by Harry, the sixth Google employee.
- Detroit's Electric 6 celebrate 20 years of high-voltage jams at Small's
- Tenaya Creek Brewing celebrates 20 years on the local scene
- Sabaton celebrate 20 years with a tonally inconsistent but informative power-metal take on WWI
- 'We saw all their sexting': Daughter horrified to discover her father has been having an affair with her AUNT for the past 20 years
- Sailor accused of murdering his pregnant wife 20 years ago has told his trial she used to storm out after arguments and threaten to kill herself
- Spring Cleaning Time! Taking the Guesswork Out of Garage Organization
- India pips China in FDI inflows for the first time in 20 years
- Google celebrates 218th birth anniversary of physicist Joseph Plateau with a special doodle
- Google celebrates eminent tabla maestro Lachhu Maharaj's 74th birth anniversary with doodle
- 20 years later, we're still gobsmacked by the opening credits of