Nation and World News By Associated Press | Friday, November 2, 2018, 12:05 a.m. Share this story Trump pledges asylum crackdown, tent cities — but is it legal? WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump said Thursday he plans to sign an order next week that could lead to the large-scale detention of migrants crossing the southern border and bar anyone caught crossing illegally from claiming asylum — two legally dubious proposals that mark his latest election-season barrage against illegal immigration. ADVERTISING Trump also said he had told the U.S. military mobilizing at the southwest border that if U.S. troops face rock-throwing migrants, they should react as though the rocks were “rifles.” “This is an invasion,” Trump declared, as he has previously on a subject that has been shown to resonate strongly with his base of Republican supporters. He made his comments at the White House in a rambling, campaign-style speech that was billed as a response to caravans of migrants traveling slowly by foot toward the U.S. border. But Trump offered few details on how exactly he planned to overhaul an asylum system he claimed was plagued by “endemic abuse” that he said “makes a mockery of our immigration system.” U.S…. Read full this story
- Exclusive: Nancy Pelosi vows 'different world' for Trump with new Congress, no more 'rubber stamp'
- 116th Congress, government shutdown, PGA Tour 2019: 5 things to know Thursday
- Who is the woman behind the caricature? Nancy Pelosi spars with President Trump
- Nancy Pelosi battled President George W. Bush. She says taking on Trump will be different
- In Trump era, Nancy Pelosi admits to nostalgia about George W. Bush. Here's why
- Nancy Pelosi vows 'different world' for Trump with new Congress
- Democrats take control of the House as a new, diverse Congress convenes
- Democratic Rep. Nancy Pelosi of California is elected speaker of the House
- Exclusive: Nancy Pelosi vows 'different world' for Trump, no more 'rubber stamp' in new Congress
- Democratic Nancy Pelosi takes gavel in House as period of divided government begins
AP News in Brief 11-02-18 have 335 words, post on www.westhawaiitoday.com at November 1, 2018. This is cached page on SEO. If you want remove this page, please contact us.