The Irish Government has proposed the creation of senior academic posts specifically for women at university level. The Government is aiming to address the scarcity of women in senior-level academic positions in Ireland under its Gender Action Plan. The plan is in response to slow progress when it comes to boosting female representation in academia and higher education at senior and management level. Over the next three years, it plans to fund dozens of women-only professorships in an effort to “eradicate gender inequality” in third-level institutions across Ireland. Under the scheme, up to 30 women-only professorships will be established, which will cost approximately €6m over the next three years. While women make up more than half of the workforce in higher education, a mere 24pc of professors are women. Moving the dial for gender equality Minister of State for Higher Education, Mary Mitchell O’Connor, says she hopes to see women holding 40pc of professorships by 2024. The Gender Action Plan report notes that progress in Ireland has been slow compared to other countries in Europe. If current rates of progression are maintained, it could take two decades for the 40pc goal to be achieved. The Government said that the 30… Read full this story
- Government plans activities for healthy lifestyle during 21-day lockdown
- Gendered disinformation might have cost Warren the nomination and us our lives
- Women sarpanchs tell UN how rural India's power structure is changing
- HT Brunch Cover Story: 11 women define feminism differently
- Reproductive rights of women are not up for negotiation: Gita Sen
- Why we protested in solidarity with the Women's March on Washington
- It's not the 'Year of the Woman.' It's the 'Year of the Women'
- A look at the abuse of pregnant women by health workers
- How Indian state's three-capital plan could spur equal growth
- SC allows permanent commission for women in Navy
Government plans women-only senior academic posts to boost gender equality have 297 words, post on www.siliconrepublic.com at November 12, 2018. This is cached page on SEO. If you want remove this page, please contact us.