Ransomware has long been the scourge of the cybersecurity industry. When that extortionate hacking goes beyond encrypting files to fully paralyze computers across a company, it represents not just a mere shakedown, but a crippling disruption. Now a nasty new breed of ransomware known as LockerGoga is inflicting that paralysis on industrial firms whose computers control actual physical equipment, and it’s enough to deeply spook security researchers. Since the beginning of the year, LockerGoga has hit a series of industrial and manufacturing firms with apparently catastrophic consequences: After an initial infection at the French engineering consulting firm Altran, LockerGoga last week slammed Norwegian aluminum manufacturer Norsk Hydro , forcing some of the company’s aluminum plants to switch to manual operations. Two more manufacturing companies, Hexion and Momentive, have been hit by LockerGoga—in Momentive’s case leading to a “global IT outage,” according to a report Friday by Motherboard . And incident responders at security firm FireEye tell WIRED they’ve dealt with multiple LockerGoga attacks on other industrial and manufacturing targets they declined to name, which would put the total number of victims in that sector at five or more. Security researchers also say that the most recently discovered strain of the… Read full this story
- Ransomware: The Next Big Automotive Cybersecurity Threat?
- Industry Sees a Rise in Auto Leasing
- Crunch watch May 09: the auto industry in crisis
- Crunch watch July 09: the auto industry in crisis
- Ten Simple Things The Industry Could Do For Me This Christmas
- Auto firms in a fix over new duties
- The auction bible - how Glass's Guide decides the value of your car
- Crunch watch Apr 09: the auto industry in crisis
- Trade war: Firms look to new factories as tariffs bite
- Fantasy Football Draft Kit 2018: Fantasy Alarm's Draft Guide helps you dominate
A Guide to LockerGoga, the Ransomware Crippling Industrial Firms have 290 words, post on www.wired.com at January 3, 2019. This is cached page on SEO. If you want remove this page, please contact us.