The poet John Montague recalled regularly seeing him in the 1960s “cantering through Dublin, perched high upon the coachman’s box with a long whip”, recalled Robert O’Byrne in his book, Luggala Days. In time, Browne came to acquire a massive collection of horse-drawn carriages, some of them of immense historic importance, like the Duke of Leinster’s four-wheeled private Long Car, probably the last of its type in existence. He collected landaus, jaunting cars, phaetons and coaches, some now “best described as dilapidated”, according to a carriage expert who last saw them in 2003, but mostly intact and requiring restoration. By the time he died on March 10, 2018, Browne – squire of Luggala, his Wicklow stately home and 5,000 acre estate – had acquired a collection of 72 carriages, which he willed to the Irish nation with certain conditions attached. The estate, which was originally intended as the setting for such a museum, is currently up for sale by a Guinness offshoot known as the Barbican Trust, for €28m. The foundation of a carriage museum was a major project in Garech Browne’s frenetic life as a collector of books, documents, music and artifacts. He and Tony Boylan, project manager of… Read full this story
- Our Views: Pat Brister leaves a legacy of service and substance
- Our Views: Key Kathleen Blanco decisions leave a legacy
- Antonio Brown Attends Court Deposition As Footage Of Condo Furniture Throwing Emerges
- ‘AB Made Me Who I Am’: Pittsburgh Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger Speaks About Antonio Brown, Offseason
- ‘I’m Forever Grateful For Those Guys:’ Antonio Brown Recalled The Way His Relationship With The Steelers Ended
- The Living Legacy of Bob Marley
- 'That's her legacy': White House slams Pelosi for tearing up State of the Union address as Nancy BRAGS to cheering Dems that 'Trump shredded the truth so I shredded his speech'
- Kourtney Kardashian is all business in brown leather suit as she leaves studio in LA
- Gov. Jerry Brown slams gas-tax repeal measure at lone election-season event
- CRAIG BROWN: As Pamela Anderson splits from 5th husband 12 days after tying the knot... I'm a celebrity spouse - get me out of here!
Garech Browne leaves €1m legacy of 72-strong carriage collection have 359 words, post on www.independent.ie at February 10, 2019. This is cached page on SEO. If you want remove this page, please contact us.