Martin MacDonald asked Google’s John Mueller if Google’s crawl behavior might change if an active XML sitemap begins to error out. John said it shouldn’t.
The scenario Martin posted on Twitter was an XML Sitemap file that it looked at by Google daily and is often filled with thousands of new pages per day, if that Sitemap file stops working how will Google react. Will Google increase their crawl rate to make up the difference?
John Mueller from Google said “no, the total crawl wouldn’t change” as a result.
Here are the tweets in context:
Forum discussion at Twitter.
- Reality Internet Marketing: XML Sitemap in 4 Steps Ensures Page Indexing in Google Yahoo and MSN
- A Simple 4 Step Approach To Have Google Crawl Your Site Today Guaranteed!
- Is Google Crawling Your Site As Often As You Like?
- How Sitemaps Help Get Higher Traffic Through Search Engines
- Adding a Sitemap.xml to Correctly Index Your Website Pages on Search Engines
- The Google Sitemap For Idiots
- Here's 4 Quick and EASY Steps To Getting Your Website IN Through Google's 'Back Door'
- How to Submit Your Site Map to Google, Yahoo! and MSN
- How to Build a Google Sitemap
- Bloggers Page Rank Tips #1 - Sitemaps Are Important To The Major Search Engines