NEW BLOOMFIELD—Perry County residents packed a VFW hall on Monday night and offered many different arguments both for and against legalizing marijuana for recreational use.Much of the argument against it came from people who said they worked in education or human services and expressed great worry over negative impacts on young people. One of them, Donna Shambaugh, further argued states which have legalized pot are finding the tax benefits are overblown and “paltry,” and legalization is being pushed by commercial interests motivated by profit. “It’s today’s version of big tobacco,” she said. Another opponent, a retired guidance counselor, said “Because of the students I’ve lost, I’ll never be convinced it’s not a gateway drug.”The arguments in favor were many: Jails are filled with people convicted of victimless marijuana crimes. Marijuana has great relaxation and medical benefits, including helping veterans and others with post traumatic stress disorder. The war on drugs is a failure and legalizing pot would allow it to be regulated and generate tax revenues. And in rural, conservative Perry County, where one speaker said many are Libertarians, government intrusion into what people put into their own bodies is unwanted.“I really don’t like the idea of people telling me… Read full this story
- Big John Fetterman Can Save the Democratic Party — if the Democrats Let Him
- Congress’ Top Legal Pot Advocate on the Future of Marijuana Policy
- Defiant Trump tweets through the night about his 'legal challenge' to Biden victory: Lawyers claim Supreme Court could declare Pennsylvania votes illegal, 9,000 non-residents voted in Nevada and witnesses say their votes were denied
- 2020 Election Live Updates: Wisconsin, Michigan called for Biden while Trump readies legal battles
- 2020 Election Live Updates: Trump falsely claims Dems rigging election, suggests mail ballots are not legal
- Trump's family joins him on stage for freezing Wisconsin rally as he warns crowd the left will 'loot and rob when he beats the weak, fragile Biden'
- Republicans talk taxes, budget in fourth debate
- Ecstasy therapy approved for trial in Marin County
- Conservative Heads Explode Over Kentucky’s Bigoted County Clerk
- Marathon man Trump: President finishes up his fifth rally across five states in Florida and tells the crowd he's going to win because he's ‘running as an American’ while Biden is ‘running as a Democrat'
Marijuana legalization talk attracts big Perry County crowd, many arguments for and against have 378 words, post on www.pennlive.com at March 25, 2019. This is cached page on SEO. If you want remove this page, please contact us.