© AFP 2019 / Roy Rochlin / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA’Straight up CULTURE APPROPRIATION’: Outrage as Kim Kardashian Wears Indian HeadpieceThe Tennessee Equality Project, a group that “advocates for the equal rights of LGBTQ people in Tennessee” by lobbying local officials, announced the donation in a Facebook post on Monday evening. The donation included a handwritten note by the artist that praised the organization’s recent petition against a “slate of hate” — a series of bills in the Tennessee legislature that would effectively make discrimination against members of the LGBTQ community legal within the state. One bill in particular, if passed, could open the pathway to blocking same-sex marriage in the state, while another would allow businesses to refuse service to members of the LGBTQ community. “I’m so grateful that they’re giving all people a place to worship,” she added. Swift was noticeably quiet about her choice of candidate during the 2016 US presidential election. More recently, however, she declared her support for Democratic candidates in the 2018 US midterm elections. Swift shot into stardom with her hit singles, such as “Love Story,” “You Belong with Me” and “I Knew You Were Trouble,” and has won multiple Grammy awards. Swift’s donation to the organization is not tax-deductible, as TEP is registered as a 501(c)(4) in the state of Tennessee.
- Taylor Swift Donates $50,000 to Seattle Symphony
- Why Taylor Swift Is the Reigning Queen of Pop
- Taylor Swift, Caitlyn Jenner and Andy Cohen react to Supreme Court ruling which gives landmark protections to gay and trans people
- LGBTQ rights: Arab Israelis call for tahini-maker boycott
- 13 Things to Know About the Charts This Week: Taylor Swift's 'Reputation' Already 2017's Top-Selling Album
- Producer Joel Little Talks Connecting With Taylor Swift For 'Me!': 'We Just Clicked Creatively Right Away'
- Civil Rights Leader, Congressman John Lewis Dies At 80
- Brazil LGBTQ group hides from virus in Copacabana building
- The 25 best documentaries to watch on Netflix right now
- Record number of LGBTQ candidates running for office in US
‘So Inspired’: Taylor Swift Donates $113,000 to LGBTQ Rights Group in Tennessee have 322 words, post on sputniknews.com at April 9, 2019. This is cached page on SEO. If you want remove this page, please contact us.