As I briefly covered, Google announced tons of new ad features yesterday – two of the more controversial ones within the SEO community are the discover ads that show up on the Google mobile home page and the gallery ads that make some of the search ads on the search results page massive.
Let me show you the new features that upset some.
(1) Discover ads on Google mobile’s home page. It is not enough that the Google mobile home page is no longer just a search box, they added a discover feed – like a news portal would have. Now Google is going to be slipping in ads into that feed, like you’d see on Instagram.
(2) Google can show up to 8 large images in the top search ads, which would push down the organic listings even more. Here is what it might look like:
Here are some of the complaints from the SEO community around this:
The complaints go on and on and on.
I have no emotions – so don’t ask me my opinion – I just report the chatter. 🙂
Forum discussion at Twitter.
- Fitbit health data will not be used for Google ads, promises company after Google acquisition
- Dangerous results from unproven stem cell treatments led to Google ad ban
- Google ad controversy: what the row is all about
- Google X Announces Project Loon: Balloon-Powered Internet For Rural, Remote And Underserved Areas
- LAD Solutions Announces Sponsorship of Sonrise Christian School
- Google Bans Rehab-Related Search Ads in Another Country After Embarrassing Report
- Maybe Don't Get Too Excited Just Yet Over Google Buying Fitbit
- What to Expect at Google I/O 2018
- Why it’s OK that Google didn’t announce a Pixel 4 phone with 5G
- Google summoned by ministers as government pulls ads over extremist content