Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
Google On Mega-Menus: Nothing To Be Concerned About, Yet…
John Mueller of Google posted on Twitter asking “How do you feel about “mega-menus” on ecommerce sites?” He then followed up saying there is “no secret announcement lined up” around Google penalizing e-commerce sites with mega-menus.
Rumors That Shortnames Causing Google My Business Suspensions
There are a lot of rumors and suspicions that Google My Business suspensions are due to the release of the new shortnames feature. I am not sure if that is true, we covered the suspension issues well before the launch of the shortnames release and we even covered this rumors earlier as well.
Some YouTubers Angry That Google Search Shows Videos From Non-YouTube Sources
Often you see people complaining that Google is favoring their own properties over third-party properties. Like showing Google My Business Listings over Yelp or Google Job listings over results from Indeed or showing YouTube videos over videos from other providers. But here, we have a YouTuber upset with Google that Google is showing videos from third-parties and not YouTube.
Google Autocomplete Lightens & Hides Search Results As You Type
It looks like Google has rolled out a new search user experience in the desktop search results. When you start typing your query and Google shows you search results, those search results will be lightened up, the transparency will go down and be less visible as you type.
Google Search Recommends Google Assistant For Jokes
If you go to Google and search for [jokes] on mobile, Google will recommend you give the Google Assistant a try. At the top of the search results it will load a box that simulates the Google Assistant directly in Google search by sharing a joke with you right at the top of Google search.
Who doesn’t like lollipops? Who doesn’t like cake pops? Who doesn’t like Google branded cake lollipops? Well, some of you probably don’t like it. But here is a photo of one from an event at the Go
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- Well this is a rather nice feature👍You can share the links to your reviews – when someone clicks the link it takes them to a nice display of the review, with a clear link through to ‘place details’ https:, Claire Carlile on Twitter
- FWIW the disavow is only necessary for the site with the canonical URLs (but it doesn’t harm to do the rest if you’re unsure).… https://t.co/xaHMFlvJUO, John Mueller on Twitter
- Hey Shalini! Thanks for the offer, but i think I’m doing alright. Appreciate the offer though!…, Gary Illyes on Twitter
- I know Google has tested desktop ‘Events’ but now I see them consistently, but only when the entity is brought up via a carousel or Related Search Box… not when it is the initial query. (Not sure how long this has been going, Mordy Oberstein on Twitter
- It looks like Google My Business has introduced a new review links feature to the dashboard for businesses that have added a profile short name. @rustybrick @mblumenthal https://t.co/XBnodiqg2P, Brian Jensen on Twitter
- If we assume that a page doesn’t change frequently, we might crawl it less, but that’s fine (more crawling doesn’t mean better ranking). Overall, a 304 is more a sign that we can crawl a site more (since the bandwidth & open re, John Mueller on Twitter
Search Engine Land Stories:
Other Great Search Stories:
Industry & Business
Links & Promotion Building
Local & Maps
Mobile & Voice
- Local Briefs: Government meetings for June 24 to July 10, 2019
- What you need to know for Wednesday, July 10, 2019
- Islandstyle for July 10, 2019
- July 10, 2019
- Briefness first and foremost – July 10, 2019 IPN digest
- Who’s playing who at Wimbledon on Wednesday, July 10
- Guam school announcements: Education Update for June 10, 2019
- Guam school announcements: Education Update for July 1, 2019
- What you need to know for Thursday, July 11, 2019
- Guam school announcements: Education Update for July 15, 2019