What just happened? As a result of a record fine levied at Google by the European Commission, the company is giving other search engines get a chance to govern search functionality on new Android devices. The fine print: they’ll have to fight others for it, and pay Google every time someone switches to their service. Starting next year, Google will offer Android users in the European Union a way to choose from a list of search providers. Once an option is selected during setup from a choice screen, it will become the default search provider across the operating system and apps like Chrome. You’ll also be able to remove the Google search widget, and the company says that configuration will be remembered even after restoring a device. Worth noting is that search engines will have to go through a “first-price sealed bid auction,” with the three winners taking the empty slots alongside Google in the choice screen and the list will be randomly ordered. Then they’ll have to pay the search giant every time their service is chosen. The auction will be country-specific, but Google hasn’t said what the minimum bid threshold is, and will be keeping the total number… Read full this story
- Google autocomplete map of Europe reveals most-searched for questions about each country
- Google aims to get 'diverse perspectives' into search results
- Google has been secretly tracking Android users even when their location services are switched off
- Google releases Android Oreo 'Go' for low-end smartphones
- WhatsApp scam tricks over a million Android users into downloading fake version of the app - don't get caught out
- Android users being robbed by Malware infected flashlight apps
- December global festivities marked with Google Doodle – how is the search engine celebrating Christmas 2017?
- December global festivities marked by Google Doodle – how is the search engine celebrating Christmas 2017?
- Google Doodle marks December global festivities – how is the search engine celebrating Christmas 2017?
- Google Doodle marks December global festivities – how’s the search engine celebrating Christmas 2017?
Google will let Android users in Europe choose their default search engine starting in 2020 have 341 words, post on www.techspot.com at August 2, 2019. This is cached page on SEO. If you want remove this page, please contact us.