Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
September 2019 Google Webmaster Report
This month we had two unconfirmed Google search ranking algorithm updates, one around August 17th and the other around August 29th. Google began penalizing domain leasing portions of sites, and also slammed a popular SEO with a link penalty. The evergreen GoogleBot is now running
Google Shows Competitors Local Listings Above The Branded Local Knowledge Panel
This isn’t a good thing – Google can show a carousel feature of competitive businesses in the area when someone specifically searches for your company name in Google. So for a branded search that brings up a local knowledge panel for that business, Google can show competitive listings above the local knowledge panel!
Is Google Investigating Consolidation Issues With Google Search Console Performance Report?
There may (or may not) be an issue with the changes Google made back in February around consolidating around the canonical URL, which means the AMP, mobile, etc will all be counted towards the main URL’s data in the performance report. This may not be happening correctly for some sites and Google is supposedly investigating this issue.
Google Tests Capitalizing URLs Of Snippets In Search Results
Google looks to be testing, or maybe it is a bug, capitalizing the URL or breadcrumb part of the snippets in the search results. I see a number of folks on Twitter chatting about it and I have numerous screen shots of this in action.
Google Search Console Adds Auto-DNS Verification With Some DNS Providers
Google announced it has added Auto-DNS verification with various domain name registrars to automate part of the verification flow. This is similar to what they did with GoDaddy and Google Domains, as well as similar to Bing’s announcement with Domain Connect from the other week.
A Google Trophy Cup?
I found this image on Instagram, it looks like a trophy cup with the Google logo engraved on it. Supposedly this photo was taken at the GooglePlex, Google’s main headquarters in Mountain View, Califor
Labor Day – 2019 Logos From Google, Yahoo & Bing
Today is Labor Day in the United States and now for the fourth year in a row, Google has a Labor Day logo. Google use to not do Labor Day logos but now has consistently done them for the past four years. Yahoo and Bing also have special logos or designs up for the day.
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- Google’s Job Search Tool Under E.U. Investigation, WebmasterWorld
- I think you’re overthinking this 🙂, John Mueller on Twitter
- Sure, if you make a 301 a 404, then it’ll be a 404. There’s *nothing* wrong with URLs that return 404, they don’t cause problems, they just don’t get indexed., John Mueller on Twitter
- We’re currently peeking at the next batch of #AskGoogleWebmasters videos & I’d love your input. How could we make them more useful? Longer or shorter answers? More frequent videos? Combine questions or themed videos? More, John Mueller on Twitter
- @jack pwned, WebmasterWorld
- No, the noindex doesn’t “reset” anything, it only removes that page from the search results. If you’re updating your site, I’d just update it normally, no need to do anything fancy with noindex., John Mueller on Twitter
- A soft 404 is essentially a 404., John Mueller on Twitter
- Google, big tech, disruption, and the international marketplace, WebmasterWorld
- Facebook Considers Hiding Like Counts, WebmasterWorld
- Yes, indeed .. It got resolved over the weekend. We are checking who did it 😉 https://t.co/G0s3ThLhb2, Bing Webmaster Team on Twitter
Search Engine Land Stories:
Other Great Search Stories:
Industry & Business
Links & Promotion Building
Local & Maps
Mobile & Voice
- Are you sending the right usability signals to Google?, Search Metrics
- Refurbishing Top Content – Best of Whiteboard Friday, Moz
- SEO 101: The Top 5 Things You Need to Know, Seer Interactive
- “Impressions” is an Undervalued SEO KPI, Distilled
- 301 Redirect SEO Benefits | What Is a 301 Redirect, Hallam
- August 2019 SEO Winners and Losers: Facebook ascends, Netflix softens, YouTube dominates while Twitter slides, Search Metrics
- Google PageSpeed Insights SEO Guide | Does Page Speed Affect SEO?, Cognitive SEO
- How to Scrape Google Search Features Using XPath, Screaming Frog
- Google’s latest search algorithm change hurts web traffic for Daily Mail and others
- Office 2019 release calendar: Mark these dates
- DT Daily: Apple iPhone X, Apple Watch Series 3, Apple TV 4K event recap
- New Theo Hayez twist as Belgian backpacker’s father RETURNS to Australia to continue the search for his missing son - three months after he vanished in Byron Bay
- FAQ: Office 2019 is coming; here's what you need to know
- Next gen of Apple iPhone, Apple TV and Apple Watch due September 12
- DT Daily: Intel’s bracelet, bionic bird drone, computer ‘vision’
- DT Daily: Pelosi backs net neutrality, Twitter buy button, Apple recap
- Volvo: All of our new cars will be electric or hybrid by 2019
- Tragic twist in search for missing Belgian backpacker Theo Hayez as Byron Bay police officially abandon the hunt after four months - and the teenager's father pays a heartbreaking tribute