Gary Illyes from Google clarified last night that if you place a nofollow in your robots meta tags, it will also follow the new rules as the nofollow link attribute. Hence, as Gary said “Meta robots nofollow is a hint now, like rel-nofollow.” Although the robots won’t support the new ugc and sponsored attributes.
Gary said this on Twitter:
1. There’s no meta robots ugc and sponsored, it won’t do anything if you add that.
John Mueller from Google clarified as well saying “The robots meta tag remains the same as before, noindex affects the page, nofollow affects the links on the page. It’s just that nofollow on the links is now different. There’s no ugc or sponsored for the robots meta tag.”
Here are those tweets:
Here are bit more tidbits on this topic from Gary:
Forum discussion at Twitter.
- Vietnamese robot geek impresses Silicon Valley
- Android Pie: Google adds Digital Wellbeing controls
- Robot designers helps SMEs thrive and cut costs
- Vietnam has high demand for automotive robotics solutions
- Hundreds of cleaning robots to work in Singapore
- Vietnam has first-ever robot-assisted kidney removal surgery
- About 150 young students attend Vietnam Robot contest
- Vietnam attends world robot contest in Mexico
- Vietnam, RoK seeks cooperation chances in robot industry, automation
- Vietnamese students shine at int’l robotics competition