Back in the summer of 2012, Barack Obama was unequivocal. He warned that if Bashar Al Assad used chemical weapons on his own people in Syria’s brutal civil war, which had started the previous year, there would be untold consequences – it was a red line. Twelve months on, Assad launched a sarin gas attack on rebel-held suburbs of Damascus. Up to 300 people, many of them children, died in agony, gagging and suffocating as the gas caused muscle spasms that made breathing impossible. Obama’s red line had been crossed in the most devastating manner. Yet he failed to send in US troops or warplanes – and the shocking atrocities, the use of chemical weapons in Assad’s war of suppression, carried on regardless. In 2012, Barack Obama warned that if Bashar Al Assad used chemical weapons on his own people there would be untold consequences Six years on, nearly 600,000 people have been killed in Syria, with 12million displaced. A £47billion pre-war Syrian economy has collapsed to one of £12billion, dominated by black marketeers exploiting chronic shortages, with the Assad clan as the biggest profiteers. There is no doubt that the Syrian dictator was the victor in the civil war…. Read full this story
- Donald Trump's Key Statements on Foreign Policy
- Syria: Trump still favors timely withdrawal despite Macron assurances of long-term engagement
- Russia's response? Warships loaded with tanks and military supplies spotted 'leaving Turkey for Syria'
- Trump calls his Capitol mob 'GREAT PATRIOTS' and claims they rioted because election was 'viciously stolen' - then tells them 'Go home with love. Remember this day forever!' as Twitter locks his account for 12 hours
- Trump supporters storm Congress as Pence and lawmakers run for safety: Mob smashes through police barriers and wall of tear gas to stop Biden's victory being certified - after President told them to march on the Capitol to 'stop the steal'
- House Will Move to Impeach Trump: Live Updates
- 'I never wanted to speak to him': How Georgia Sec of State Raffensperger only took President's threatening phone call after being pestered 18 TIMES and leaked tape after Trump tweeted he had 'no clue' - as Dems call on FBI to launch probe
- Pro-Trump Republicans Picked Up Where the Pro-Trump Mob Left Off
- How the world reacted to US Capitol pro-Trump protest
- Fury as China denies entry to WHO experts investigating origins of Covid pandemic as Number 10 calls decision 'disappointing' amid growing suspicions of a cover-up
MICHAEL BURLEIGH: Bashar Al Assad - the tyrant who drowned his nation in blood - is the real winner in Donald Trump's decision to pull out of Syria have 395 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at October 15, 2019. This is cached page on SEO. If you want remove this page, please contact us.