MADRID – A year ago, a little known 15-year-old Swedish girl in a checked shirt and pigtails stood before world leaders in a snowy Polish coal town and told them they were blowing their chance to aggressively combat climate change, and their inaction would no longer be tolerated. “Change is coming, whether you like it or not,” she vowed in a blistering three-minute speech that lit a fire under the otherwise sleepy proceedings. On Wednesday, Greta Thunberg – now 16, now a global celebrity and the most recognizable face of the climate movement – returned to the annual United Nations climate summit, this time on the outskirts of Spain’s capital. Only this time, she was the main attraction. Thunberg’s globe-trotting, headline-making, movement-forming journey to push for urgent climate action has transformed her from a solitary protester into an international icon. So much has changed since that cold day in Poland when she emerged on the world stage. People flocked to the vast room where she spoke. A swarm of media documented her every move. A sea of young activists filled the conference halls. And yet, so much has not changed. The world has hardly budged when it comes to taking… Read full this story
- Use contraception to save the planet: Experts claim improved access to birth control could slow population growth and reduce global greenhouse gas emissions by 40%
- Who is a Leader?
- 2012 - 7 Reasons Why the World Ends on December 21 - 2012
- The Key Denominator to All Successful Marketers & How You Can Use This Simple Technique Now
- A Utopian Vision of the World
- How to Develop Successful Work Teams Using Rhetorical Maneuvers
- Use this simple psychological trick if productivity culture has made it impossible for you to relax
- 7 Tips For Turbulent Times - Managing Under Pressure
- BBC 100 Women 2019: Who is on the list this year?
- 'Can't fight evil with evil': life in Mexico's most murderous town
How Greta Thunberg is using her fame to pressure world leaders to act on climate have 310 words, post on www.sfchronicle.com at December 11, 2019. This is cached page on SEO. If you want remove this page, please contact us.