In public, President Donald Trump has fixated on mocking Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) as “crazy” and has focused on assuring supporters of how badly he’d crush the left-wing senator in a general election and protect them from Sanders’ creeping socialism. In private, Trump has often expressed different worries about the 2020 candidate. In the past two months, the president has repeatedly asked advisers, in and out of the White House, about how Sanders polls, or would likely perform, in critical battleground states, specifically Pennsylvania, according to two people who’ve independently heard him ask about it. At times, Trump has asked about Sanders’ prospects even in the absence of a current public or internal poll on the matter. It’s hardly the first time Trump has talked to his friends and top lieutenants about Sanders’ potential formidability heading into an election year. As The Daily Beast reported last year, Trump had on multiple occasions told longtime associates and Republican donors that running against “socialism” in 2020 may not be “so easy” due to its populist appeal. At a private event with donors late last year, the president said, according to a source in the room, that “you can have someone who loves… Read full this story
- Bernie Sanders: Biden win in November is no 'slam dunk'
- Bernie Sanders: Biden win in November is no ‘slam dunk’
- 2020 Election Live Updates: Newsom says California ready for election unrest; Bernie Sanders endorses for Oakland City Council
- Bernie Sanders Fears Joe Biden Will Lose to Trump Without More Radical Agenda
- Bernie Sanders Says Democratic Party Has Become a 'Party of Coastal Elites'
- Bernie Sanders to Host In-Person Rallies for Biden in Swing States as Trump Campaign Halts
- Bernie Sanders blasts Democrats as ‘party of coastal elites’ – despite running for their nomination and endorsing Biden
- Senator Bernie Sanders Comes To Pittsburgh To Campaign For Joe Biden
- Elizabeth Warren, Bernie Sanders Angle for Cabinet Positions if Joe Biden Wins
- Biden pushes back against ties to Bernie Sanders during first debate: 'I am the Democratic party'
Trump Privately Obsessed With Bernie Sanders’ Popularity and Socialism’s Appeal have 330 words, post on www.thedailybeast.com at January 15, 2020. This is cached page on SEO. If you want remove this page, please contact us.