BRUSSELS (AP) — The European Union’s top diplomat said Tuesday that since the United States has already withdrawn from an international agreement curbing Iran’s nuclear ambitions, it can’t now use its former membership of the pact to try to impose a permanent arms embargo on the Islamic Republic. The accord, which Iran signed with the U.S., Britain, Germany, France, China and Russia in 2015, has been unraveling since President Donald Trump pulled Washington out in 2018 and reinstated sanctions designed to cripple Tehran under what the U.S. called a “maximum pressure” campaign. ADVERTISEMENT U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Kelly Craft have said that extending a permanent U.N. backed arms embargo against Iran is now a top priority for Washington. But speaking to reporters Tuesday after talks with Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi, EU foreign policy chief Josep Borrell insisted that since the U.S. has pulled out of the nuclear deal, known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, it can no longer claim to have a role in it. “The United States has withdrawn from the JCPOA, and now they cannot claim that they are still part of the JCPOA in order… Read full this story
- Explained | The current state of the Iran nuclear deal
- Lavrov: Russia, China Reject US' Unilateral Actions Aimed at Iranian Nuclear Deal Collapse
- Mystery Group Claims Iran Nuclear Site Attack Amid String of Incidents
- Mike Pompeo: Mideast peace agreements show Obama admin was wrong about Iran nuke deal
- 'Complete breakdown': EU rejects Dominic Raab's 'easier' no-deal Brexit claim
- Trump: Iran to Sign New Agreement ‘Very Rapidly’ With US After Reelection Win
- Horse-trading Iran hawks seize on Pompeo’s Senate interest
- Pompeo Announces US Sanctions on Venezuela's Maduro, Iran's Ministry of Defence
- Iran Says It's 'Not Interested' in Debate After Biden Warns It 'Will Pay A Price'
- Iran Lashes Out at 'Thugs Dominating U.S.,' Talks Trade with China, Russia
EU rejects any US attempt to invoke Iran nuclear deal have 320 words, post on apnews.com at June 9, 2020. This is cached page on SEO. If you want remove this page, please contact us.