One in six parents in England and Wales were ‘seriously considering’ keeping their children out of school today, a poll found, as millions of pupils returned to classes from the Covid-19 lockdown for the first time in six months. Some 17 per cent are so worried about their children going back into the classroom that they might not let them do so – including 6 per cent who are ‘very seriously’ considering keeping them at home, the YouGov study found. It means that tens of thousands of children were likely to have not returned to school today, although the survey also found 70 per cent of parents are not very seriously contemplating keeping their children at home. Parents who do not send their children back without good reason can be fined £120, cut to £60 if paid in 21 days. The poll also revealed that nearly half of parents (47 per cent) think that masks should be worn, compared to 36 per cent who are opposed. Meanwhile almost half of parents (48 per cent) think it is unfair for parents to be fined for keeping their children out of school if they are scared about Covid-19, although 39 per cent… Read full this story
- NC teachers warned, ‘we vote in November.’ And they did, helping break GOP supermajority.
- Japan's Korean schools being squeezed by rising tensions with Pyongyang
- How the Red Scare destroyed a small-town teacher
- How Schools For Kids In Foster Care Act As 'Educational Black Holes'
- Far from home and alone: Unaccompanied immigrant youth find refuge in Oakland Unified
- One year after the Google walkout, key organizers reflect on the risk to their careers
- The Daily 202: Trump gets schooled in Syria on how much his words matter
- UK weather – Storm Callum flood warnings spark home evacuations as month’s worth of rain falls in 48 hours
- 'It's life and death': how the growth of Addis Ababa has sparked ethnic tensions
- Read the Transcript of Obama’s Speech Defending Democracy
Tens of thousands of pupils miss their first day back at school as 'one in six' are kept at home over Covid fears despite risk of £120 fine - while teachers complain about lack of PPE or social-distancing have 311 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at September 1, 2020. This is cached page on SEO. If you want remove this page, please contact us.