The aim of the government’s new three-tier coronavirus lockdown system is to get the virus under control by the new year – and hopefully before Christmas – a minister has told Sky News.Speaking to Kay Burley, Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden said: “The purpose of doing this is to ensure that we get the virus under control so that by the time we get through to after Christmas we are in that position where it’s under control.”Indeed I hope it will be sooner than that.”Live updates on coronavirus from UK and around world Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player Public ‘tired’ of lockdown measures Mr Dowden said the government had to act to control “rapidly rising cases” of COVID-19 in parts of the country. Advertisement “The point of moving to this tiered system is so that in those most highly affected areas, we’ve got measures in place to control the virus,” he said.”If those measures are successful, we hope to be able to take areas out of those higher levels of restrictions.” More from Covid-19 Coronavirus: Europe is ‘epicentre of pandemic once again’, WHO chief warns after deaths rise by 35% Coronavirus: Revealed – the impact Eat… Read full this story
- Today’s coronavirus news: Block of COVID-19 funds risks lives in the U.S., White House says
- Oprah Winfrey coronavirus donation | Joining the Covid-19 fight: Oprah Winfrey donates $10 million for coronavirus relief
- Bill Gates lauds India's Covid-19 vaccination drive, says 'lesson to the world'
- Queen gives speech in midst of COVID-19 crisis as prime minister sent to hospital
- Baltimore City And Surrounding Communities Experiencing High Community Transmission Of COVID-19
- Thailand plans to declare Covid-19 endemic earlier than expected
- COVID-19 SUNDAY: 53 deaths, 7,960 infections, provincial data
- Malaysia and China to collaborate in developing Covid-19 vaccine
- Four different Covid-19 variants detected in Thailand
- Thai deputy health minister expects Covid-19 to be over by the end of the year
Coronavirus: Three-tier lockdown system aims to get COVID-19 under control by Christmas, says minister have 314 words, post on news.sky.com at October 12, 2020. This is cached page on SEO. If you want remove this page, please contact us.